Thursday, May 8, 2008

The So-Called Experts Call It 'Nesting'

Last weekend, we decided we would paint the baby's room. We chose green for her. It seems neutral enough to re-use that color for a future brother, and, we're trying not go overboard with the pinks and purples. Scott has shunned all things with a reference to "princess" on them, so shunning the pinks and purples seems appropriate as well. I pretty much had to stay away during the painting, although we tried to get a low VOC/VOC-free paint. When I went to Sherwin-Williams to get it, I read the can and it said it could still cause birth defects, which was scary, so Scott decided he was on his own. He really is the best man ever.. ever.

P
art of getting the baby room ready was putting together a wardrobe we bought at Ikea. Just to prove how graceful I am, I would like to note that I scarred it before it was even fully put together. I dropped a shelf on the front of it, which resulted in some non-repairable scratches. Way to go, Me. I rationalized it by saying that it would have got scratched up along the way anyway. I came into the room to set up the wardrobe, despite the recently dried paint, since Scott and I have a plan for putting together furniture. It's relatively simple: I read the instructions, and he puts it together with each step. I decided to wear a mask, even though I don't think it kept any fumes out. I had my sunglasses on top of my head and Scott thought it would be funny if I put them on and took a picture. I don't know why I fall for it half of the time.


The keyboard player from Prince's band dropped by to help with the wardrobe


Here is my husb
and -- sweaty, irritable, injured and sweaty again


Tah-dah! One corner of the finished room (Pictures to be hung)


My sign
ature, or misfire. Kind of like Zorro... drunk Zorro.

People have been kind enough to let us borrow some of their baby things if they are through having children or in between kiddos. My sister gave me a bassinet, which we put some stuffed animals in until the baby arrives. The best part about it is that Scott always does a double-take when he walks by it because he thinks that one of the stuffed animals is our cat, Kitty. This would be way less funny if the stuffed animal wasn't bright red and wearing blue socks. Our cat is gray and does not wear socks.

Ple
ase compare the following and submit your honest opinion: Do these two things resemble one another, or do they not?

Exhibit A: Fox in Socks


Exhibit B: Kitty the C
at (socks not included)

On a separate note, Scott has been experiencing pregnancy cravings. Mine has stayed pretty constant. Pizza and slushies. I think the slushies are a subconscious way of trying to stop the constant burning in my throat from acid reflux. Scott, on the other hand, has taken a liking to expensive candy bars, which he savors and adores. Here he is about to dig in. Can you see the pure dumb, childlike excitement on his face?

Yumz!

8 comments:

arlopop said...

tell scott to take next weekend and make a mobile for the kid.

use the Ritter wrappers.

amosclarkson said...

Love the 2nd look in the bassinet thing...made me laugh!! I love the wardrobe, too.

Our Three Girls said...

I love the wardrobe! I should have had you help decorate our baby rooms...very cute...but not as cute as my little niece who will be sleeping in the room. :)

P.S. Still mad at Scott!

Sarah & Scott said...

In Scott's defense, the shunning of 'princess' articles is quite defensible. No one is entitled, or should they be endowed with the sense of privilege such that the self-fulfilling prophesy of this contemporary "princess" mindset creates.

Yes, every party does have a pooper and that pooper is Scott. Poop happens. Though the princess of his heart, their daughter will think of herself as no better or no worse than anyone else. Princesses have serfs, make unrealistic demands and expect servitude.

Sincerely,
F. (Hart)Lee Bailey

the hortons said...

OMG, Sarah, you are so funny. With the kiddos sleeping I had to stop myself from laughing out loud. Love the room so far and can't wait for it to be done and complete with baby!

Undecided said...

Don't worry, Scott... I will single handedly ensure that there is plenty of ridiculous pink/lavender princess-y stuff!

I don't know why I have such a weakness for ridiculous baby girl stuff - but I do. It is especially odd since I despise princessy adults..

By the way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRSARAH!!!!!

arlopop said...

Scott,

Fear the princess-industrial complex. It is all-encompassing and takes great effort to struggle against.

see http://gettingflak.blogspot.com/2008/02/girl-got-her-first-haircut-yesterday.html

Diana Herman said...

we'll have to flood you with princess-themed presents now, you realize that, right? Just like Barney...no matter how hard you try to avoid it, this stuff finds you and won't go away!!!