Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cravings and Emotions

I am ashamed to admit that my most FAVORITE food during my pregnancy thus far has been something that I would normally never eat on a regular basis - Pizza Hut cheese sticks.

I know they are probably not good for the child, and Lord knows I am not helping my figure with more cheese and bread. In addition, it's not even LOCAL pizza or GOOD pizza. But I can't help it - almost nothing makes me happier.

I keep telling Scott that the child really loves cheese sticks. I am confident of this. Aside from the pizza, the good news is that most healthy things are starting to sound decent again. Perhaps the baby will have more, as Nacho Libre would say, nutrients.

Pizza Hut

I never would have guessed.


Another thing that many people talk about is emotion during pregnancy. I've noticed myself being much more affected by small things. At first, I was very moody and irritable. While I can't deny that I am still like that on occasion (after all, Scott will read this and call me on it), the big thing has been the crying. Sometimes I get teary in court when my clients get reductions in their bonds. Sometimes I cry when I get a text message from Scott during the day that comments on his excitement about the baby.

The most egregious example was last night. I was sitting on the couch with our cat, and we were watching "Hogan Knows Best." Scott was in the adjacent room, working on the computer. For those of you who are not well-versed in fine art, like reality TV, Hulk Hogan and his family. The show (supposedly) details their daily lives - real Cinéma vérité. The episode last night showed Hulk and his wife in the midst of marital problems. At her request, he wrote her a poem. The poem was surprisingly sweet and lamented the fact that their marriage was crumbling. As Hulk Hogan was reading it to his wife, Scott called in from the other room: "Please tell me you are not crying!"

Of course, I was bawling. Not one of my prouder moments, but par for the course the past three months.

Hulk Hogan

This man moved me to tears.


12 comments:

amosclarkson said...

Hulk Hogan is the man, ya know. They are divorced now, aren't they??? That's too funny. Yes, your emotions just go a little crazy, but you have an excuse, so that's okay. Don't worry about the cheese sticks. I ate ice cream and peanut butter EVERYDAY I was pregnant. He seems to be okay :)

Our Three Girls said...

Oh my gosh! I am laughing SO hard! If this makes you feel any better (and it won't), I still cry at the drop of a hat. And the Pizza Hut man knew me by name. Must run in the family.

arlopop said...

I, personally, have wept every time I have seen the Hulkster. And I can't even get pregnant.

Unknown said...

Sarah, While you and I may be different on some less pleasant aspects of pregnancy (i.e., my frequent vomiting), I am glad to hear that we are still soul sisters when it comes to the emotional roller coaster. Hulk Hogan being the instigator for you, and Adam Sandler for me... both such sensitive men you see. :) Love your post!

Carrie Fluegge said...

That is hillarious. I never had cravings, morning sickness or hormonal stuff. In fact, I wouldn't have believed I was pregnant if I hadn't seen the sonogram. But if you think you're emotional now, just wait till the baby comes. The combination of hormones, pain, lack of sleep and love for the baby will surely keep you reaching for the Kleenex.

Micah and Beth said...

I'm seriously cracking up right now...out loud! Who knew that cheese sticks and Hulk Hogan would become such influences on your emotional state. I'm so glad you started a blog b/c you've always been good at telling a story unlike anyone I know and your revelations during your pregnancy are like a daily dose of medicine. SOOOO funny!

Our Three Girls said...

I voted for a boy because Kohl's had a wonderful sale and I opted for boy clothing. I love your blog! I'll like it even better when I get my glasses and Kerri doesn't have to read it to me.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

OK there is a special ward @ Western Missouri Mental Health Center for people who cry @ Hulk Hogan. So cut that crap out!!!

I cried @ the Kodak comercials. Wept copious amount. And in the summer, I craved THE AIR CONDITITIONING (another reason to start saving since the electric bill alone could blow that $100 thing). And until I had kids, I never liked spicy food (I love it now) and never liked action movies. Go figure that out!

Undecided said...

You're free cheesy bread, you're free!!!!

Our Three Girls said...

The girl voters are finally appearing! Can't wait until March! :)

Hettinger Home said...

Sarah - Don't worry, I cried at that episode too and I, also, love cheese sticks...and I'm not pregnant. Damn. :)

Undecided said...

I have a confession to make...

I've voted for a girl from multiple computers! I can't help it... little girl clothes are so much more fun to buy.

I'm contrite. I'm bad. I'm ruining the accuracy of your poll.

Sorry! I promise to still find cute boy stuff if required : )