Sunday, March 9, 2008

In Limbo


At the insistence of my husband, I am sitting down to write another blog. As he just said to me, "What is the point of having a blog if you are never going to update it?"

"I have nothing to write," I say. "And we haven't taken any pictures lately."

"Write about our shopping trip yesterday." he replies, while playing his guitar with a nickel, since he can't find a guitar pick in our house.

A shopping trip where I end up almost bawling like a baby - not quite a moment I want to memorialize in the Blogosphere. But, my blogging guilt is getting the best of me.

Scott and I went out to Target to get some maternity clothes that can be worn into the courtroom. I have outgrown most of my clothes now in one way or another, which has left me rotating between two pairs of pants this last week - as far as shirts go, I just wear a very gnarled over sized cardigan sweater to cover up whatever ill-fitting shirt I choose to wear. It's actually a really depressing topic, since I feel like I am surrounded by tiny pregnant women in my life, all of whom happen to appear super skinny, but with a basketball stuffed under their shirts. (You know who you are, so don't act all confused when you comment on this blog!)

Contrary to popular belief, clinical studies have demonstrated pie does not contribute to weight gain

As I tried on clothes, I had a minor breakdown in the dressing room. I guess I am of the opinion that if I am going to gain weight, I'd rather just be huge right up front instead of mildly huge with little to no baby bump, so everyone just thinks you are trying to get around going to the "plus size" section by standing in the maternity section. I found one or two things, but basically, the whole trip ended on a sour note, with Scott desperately trying to reassure me that everyone gains weight when they are pregnant. The things that man goes through to keep his wife from going into a total psychotic rage. I'm so lucky to have him.

Reenactment depicting daily emotional variability

My feet saw the treadmill for the first time in months after that shopping trip. Perhaps it was a good thing.

I'm sorry for the very limited (and staged) photos. There will be photos on the next one, which will likely be Thursday. It is the day of our ultrasound, so if we can remember our camera, we will be able to post some photos for you!

6 comments:

arlopop said...

If it makes you feel better, K and I had a Target maternity trip just like that for both kids. though I don't think she broke down in the dressing room for the second. I called it her second trimester blues. It will get better... uh, but then it gets worse. Sorry.

amosclarkson said...

Sarah, you will show soon, I promise :) I remember being impatient about it, too and beginning to think it's not real, but Thursday will be reassurance of your wonderful baby!! You are too funny, though, and I love reading your posts. Hang in there and I can't wait to read about the ultrasound!

Micah and Beth said...

As always, you crack me up! The reenactments and captions below each picture have got me almost crying! If you blogged everyday...I swear my life would be more complete.

Carrie Fluegge said...

You write so well. I love reading your blog. It doesn't matter what size you are, maternity clothes never fit right. They are all too low cut in my opinion and show way more than I wanted to show. The pants don't stay up and I finally figured out that if you take a tight tube top and put it around the top of your pants and over your belly, it works as a belt to hold your pants up. They sell these things in the maternity stores but I just used an old tube top. You should look at Legends. They have a motherhood store that has outlet stuff in the back and Old Navy that has a maternity section. But I have to warn you that this may not be the most depressing shopping experience. AFTER you have the baby is the most depressing. Maternity clothes are too big and look silly without the big belly and your old clothes won't fit for months so then you're in limbo and can't leave the house b/c you literally have nothing to put on. I wore the same t-shirt and capris every day for a month, occasionally swapping it out with one of Ben's t-shirts. Oh yeah, the engorgement will keep you from fitting in your old shirts. :)

Our Three Girls said...

Just give it a few months! I love the post and I'm so excited about tomorrow. I hope that your baby cooperates!

Hettinger Home said...

Oh Sarah how I love your guys' site! And don't you worry for a second, I have also been surrounded by skinny pregnant women who only gain in their stomach....I can guarantee that I will not be that way when my time comes around! Strange how I can empathize when I'm not even preggers :)
Can't wait to see ultrasound pics!