From Scott: It's been (as expected) a little tumultuous since Greta came home Thursday afternoon. She was born on a sunny day and came home on a rainy day. Our neighbors all came out to greet her. After a few days, complete with heavy emotion and her parents' terror at letting her go sight unseen for more than 10 seconds (for fear or...?) the roles are becoming understood, her needs understood and her likes/dislikes more clearly defined. She helps us understand ourselves with each passing hour - whether that hour is spent figuring out her many sounds, pacing the floor at 3am with her swaddled in our arms, scheduling a much-needed nap or just staring at her while she sleeps.
Each day gets better. No longer feeling completely overwhelmed and out of our league, the constant reminder that millions of people far less intelligent than us have raised babies, coupled with our already complete doting instinct and the ability to adapt quickly, is what's going to figure this parent thing out pretty quick... I think.
All in all, Greta is absolutely amazing & flawless to us. We giggle and celebrate her dirty diapers, her beautiful little farts, even her cries bring a rush of feeling completely unprecedented. I told someone recently I enjoy the sound of her cry because it's such a strong reminder of what it is to be human in its most simple form. And for all you experienced parents, I'm not naive enough to think I'll always feel that way about Greta's cry. Just cut me some slack and let me revel in the miracle of this little thing, m'kay?
From Sarah: While it's tempting to just say "ditto" and sign off (Scott has more of a way with words than I do), I should write something more. Scott is right - the emotions we've been feeling have been a bit overwhelming, to say the least. Sometimes the mere sight of Greta gets me teary eyed. And thinking back over the last nine months gets me extremely emotional, too. I finally have a little person to put with all the events - from the day we found out we were going to be parents to all the little things...shopping for her room, registering for all the stuff we thought she might need, crying in Target when I couldn't find maternity clothes that fit, hearing her heartbeat for the first time at the doctor's office, late nights lying in bed with Scott's arm around my growing belly, and each tender moment that Scott and I shared while planning for this little person. And with all the planning we did, when she popped out, it was a million times more amazing that I had ever expected.
Greta's birth was an especially positive experience for me. I guess you never know what to expect with something like childbirth. People loved to tell me how I was going to feel pain like I had never felt before and how it was just something I had to make it through to get to the result. I really enjoyed my labor. I was really scared about the induction, and the contractions came on pretty slow and I got to feel what they felt like. When it got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore, the epidural was painless and didn't numb me out too much. Pushing was the most intense experience, and I am still in awe of the entire process.
Scott was the most supportive person ever, coaching me through each contraction and even participated in the birth (he was right there helping me push) from center stage - right next to the doctor. (Scott can't even watch me take out my contacts without being grossed out, so I was really shocked and impressed that he was so cool and collected through the whole thing.) I am truly fortunate to have this guy as my husband. Even now with my spontaneous waterworks and giant waves of emotion, he has been super supportive.
And then there's Greta - in a few words: she's the best. Everything about her is so unbelievably amazing to me.
Don't forget to keep checking our Flickr site. Scott updates those all the time, and I'm not sure how much I'll get to post for awhile, especially with Scott going back to work soon. So, click here to view lotsa photos of the sweetpea!
5 comments:
The cynic in me dwells on the neg. Hey, newborns are tough on the body and soul. But trust me, I envy you both the first experience. It is a wonder and the joy I had with the screaming Boy at 2 in the morning remains the highlight of my life. The days are long and the nights are longer but you don't get a first time twice. I'm glad you're reveling.
I'll give you a call next weekend when things have settled down a little. Til then, indulge your senses and let the hormones flow. Biology is grand... and so is adoration.
I agree with all you both said. I always say that being a new mom (or dad) is the most amazing, frustrating, awesome, stressful, humbling, frightening (wait for the first time she is sick...that is scary!), beautiful experience ever!! I hope breastfeeding is going well for you as it was a huge undertaking for us but at almost year, we are still going strong so it was worth the struggle!! Oh, and the lack of sleep is just the icing on the cake ;)
I love the hand pictures on your Flikr site. You must have a pretty nice camera to get such good detail up close like that. And the little white dots on Greta's nose bring back memories of when Georgia looked that way. I had almost forgotten about that. You're doing a good job documenting her early days and I'm so glad you're loving being parents.
I'm trying to be patient, but anytime you need an errand run, I can be there in like 5 min. I remember I was hesitant to ask Rodrigo to stop off on his way home from work b/c I knew he wanted to get home and be with the baby. So, really, you can call me. Also, I know that deepening of love feeling just watching your spouse and the baby. Saturday mornings are the best. Ro kissed my belly the other morning even though Gael was laying right next to us. It was funny and sweet. I'm so happy there is new baby in the world and a new mommy and a new daddy. Enjoy!
Gael was crying (which I still love the sound of) so I didn't get to say how much I enjoy reading your blog and remembering those early days which I can't believe where over six months ago. People said they would go fast, but like you wrote they felt wonderfully long . I think the lack of sleep just makes it hard to remember, so thank you again for sharing. I too feel like I learn everyday from my child how to be his caregiver and what comforts and nurtures him as an individual. It's amazing, as you know.
Post a Comment